27 November 2011

Riverside, CA Meteor 26NOV2011

Riverside, CA Meteor just before 7 PM Pacific Time 26NOV2011
At about 6:55 PM I saw a shooting star in the southern sky while taking my daughter out to see Venus.  Venus is very bright but I couldn't find the moon right off. So we went out in front of our house and as we turned to look South we saw a very bright meteor fall - It was the same relative size as venus if not larger and fell from about south to southeast. I don't think it was a firework - it suddenly appeared, was very solid at first and then and disspated or broke up like meteors I would watch out in the desert.
I Googled to see if there was supposed to be any meteor activity in that part of the sky but only got your website. -Steven H.  Thank you Steven!

Laguna Beach, CA Meteor ~7:00 pm 26NOV2011
I believe we saw the same one as the gentleman in Riverside CA. We were in Laguna Beach, CA, on an upper floor of a hotel balcony, watching the stars and airplanes, using the “Starwalk” application on an IPad. It was close to 7 pm, or just after, and a huge star fell out of the sky; it was so large and bright I at first thought it was a random firework. All four of us saw it, while facing west over the ocean. It was so bright, and then fell to bits. Magical! -Kristin E.  Thank you Kristin!

Ontario, California meteor ~7:00 pm 26NOV2011
Hi I was driving my daughter to a friends house last night close to 7 pm PST when we turned south on a street near our house I saw a large meteor falling S-SE. the tail broke off once or twice. it seemed slow and its path was slightly curving and falling down toward the earth not up. I say this because at first I thought it possibly was fireworks because it was soo close, like you could reach out and touch it and it was sparkly and I saw greenish yellow colors in the tail. I have never seen color before in a shooting star. It was soo beautiful! we both saw it, I was actually speechless for a minute! This was yesterday, November 26, 2011 at approximately 7 PM in Ontario California. keep looking up! -candi  Thank you Candi!

Any other sighting reports?
Please report: Date and Time of event? Location name (town,city) where you were when saw the meteor? Start and Stop location in sky? Direction of movement? Duration of Event (seconds)? Brightness ( in comparison with Venus, Moon, Sun) color, sounds? Photos? Videos? please email LunarMeteoriteHunter@gmail.com Your reports make it possible for all to check what they saw as well. Thank you! 2011 The Year of Meteors!